Can You Freeze Cabbage and Potato Ham?
There’s no reason not to freeze whole cooked cabbage. Some households have done this many times before.
You can actually keep them frozen for up to three months! You can serve the cabbage dish whenever you want until it runs out.
If you store cooked cabbage in the freezer for more than three months, the flavor will be lost and the nutrients throughout the bunch will be destroyed.
You’ll be freezing the cooked cabbage to keep it fresh until your next meal, so be careful when cooking it.
Cabbage comes in a variety of colors. The color can be green, dark red, or purple. The texture of the leaves can range from smooth to wrinkled.
This is a healthy and reliable recipe that won’t break anyone’s diet, with less than 20 calories per half cup cooked.
Is it possible to freeze ham, cabbage and potato soup
- First, fry the onions and carrots with a little oil. Stir in the garlic until fragrant (we don’t want the onions to burn!) after softening a bit.
- Then add the diced potatoes. For added texture and fiber, I left the peel. Plus, one more step in the preparation process!
- Add the diced ham and chopped cabbage (looks like a lot, but will cook). You can use leftover ham from holidays or parties, or buy small ham or diced ham from the supermarket. If you have ham bones, you can boil them in soup to enhance the taste.
- Add the thyme leaves, salt, black pepper, and celery salt now. Then, if using, add stock and bring to a boil (this is also time to add the ham bones, if using).
- Let it simmer with some bay leaves and stock. The longer you cook it on low heat, the better it will taste!
- Remove and discard the bay leaf when serving, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, and enjoy!
Refrigerator. This soup can be refrigerated for up to 7 days in a closed container. Reheat until really hot in a microwave-safe container or in a saucepan on the stove.
Freezer. This soup will keep in the freezer for 6-12 months if stored in an airtight container. Melt overnight in the fridge and reheat in a microwave-safe container or pan on the stove until really hot.
Can I put ham and scalloped potatoes in the freezer
Ham with Scalloped Potatoes, one of my favorite Freezer Meal recipes and probably the easiest, simple, fast and nutritious! Because this recipe is so simple, making four meals instead of two takes only about five minutes more, which is why I often make four at a time.
Keep in mind that the items we mentioned make up only one meal in the recipe notes below! Be sure to double, triple, or quadruple the recipe if you’re making a freezer dinner.
You can use russet potatoes or red potatoes for this dish, depending on your preferences or what you have on hand. If you’re using red potatoes, you may want to double the amount as red potatoes are usually smaller.
Also, if you don’t have cream of chicken soup, try this homemade cream of chicken soup. Convenient in an emergency, and healthy too!
If you’re making these as freezer meals, you’ll also need a freezer-safe 1-gallon bag for each meal. Be sure to provide a brief description of the bag as well:
Full recipe instructions are below, but it’s as easy as putting all the ingredients (except the cheese) in the freezer bag in the right order. Each meal will only take you 10 minutes or less, which is great!
As a final product, it should look like this:
Make sure to get as much air out of your bag as possible and lay it flat for simple freezing!
Cook it in Crockpot
At this point, things get easier. This dish just keeps getting better and better! Remove the bag from the freezer to defrost a little before putting all the ingredients into your crockpot when you are ready to cook one of your freezer meals.
Cook over low heat for 8 hours, then add the grated cheddar cheese in the last hour. If you forgot to add the cheese earlier, you can beat it at the very end.
The Secret to Perfectly Sliced Potatoes: V-Slicer!
Here’s a little secret that will save time and keep you sane: Get a v-slicer! You can use it for a variety of tasks, and it makes slicing potatoes easy. Plus, the sizes will be consistent, so they cook more evenly!
If you’re worried that the potatoes will turn brown while freezing this dinner, just freeze the rest and chop the potatoes when it’s time to cook! When making a decision, take a look at all of Amazon’s options and read the reviews!
Can cooked vegetables and cabbage be frozen
Maybe you overcooked the cabbage and wanted to store it in the freezer. But I’m not sure if you can.
You can freeze them in sections for meal planning ahead of time, or you can freeze them all at once. Here’s how to do it.
- When finished cooking, remove the cabbage and set aside to cool. Don’t put it in the freezer while it’s still warm. Allow time to cool and dry.
- Once cooked cabbage is cool and dry, transfer to an airtight container or freezer zip-lock bag, tightly closed. If you are using a container, make sure it is airtight and wrapped in foil.
- Freeze for 3-5 months after labeling your container. Cooked cabbage doesn’t store as well as raw cabbage in the freezer.
Note: If you’re using pre-frozen cabbage, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
-Note: If you are going to reheat cooked frozen cabbage, do so in a skillet over medium heat. Just reheat until warm and ready to eat.
Is it possible to freeze cooked potatoes
Yes! You can definitely freeze potatoes, and you should if you have a lot of potatoes. However, one thing to keep in mind is that you should only freeze cooked or undercooked potatoes because raw potatoes contain a lot of water. This water freezes, making the potatoes mushy and gritty when thawed.
Is it possible to freeze a cabbage casserole
- 1/2 head of pale green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 pound browned ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 8 ounces. tomatoes, diced
- Tomato sauce (12 ounces)
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
Place the finely chopped cabbage in a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes before draining it to boil. Brown ground beef in a skillet. Cook rice according to package directions.
In a large resealable freezer bag, combine the blanched cabbage, browned beef, cooked rice, and all other ingredients. Remove excess air and close the container. Freeze.
Remove the bag from the freezer to thaw the day before cooking. Fill a greased casserole dish or oven-safe pan in the center with the contents of the bag. Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 45 minutes.
This casserole can be served alone or with other Ukrainian favorites such as garlic sausage, Nalysnyky, or pyrogies with sour cream and onions.
If you’re looking for more cabbage-inspired recipes, look no further. This Cabbage Roll Soup can be pre-prepared, frozen and reheated.
This dish is part of our Worldwide Freezer Food Package, which also includes a prep list, printable shopping list, and printable label.
Is it possible to freeze potato soup
Potato soup, according to experts, does not freeze well. Soups with frozen potatoes can become dry because the potatoes absorb moisture and tend to become gritty when thawed. Plus, milk-based soups have a tendency to crack and lose their creamy texture. Overall, potato soup is a dish that can be enjoyed immediately.
What are some soups that don’t freeze well
Not many people don’t. There are a few things you should know:
- Soups with starchy ingredients (rice, quinoa, or pasta) should not be frozen. Freeze half the broth separately from the solids, then thaw and add your starch. Otherwise, when you defrost your soup, it will absorb all the liquid and become a sticky, starchy mess. Ugh!
- Sweet potato soup freezes well, but potato soup doesn’t because it’s sticky when frozen.
- Soups made with cream or milk tend to separate and turn gritty. Once the soup has thawed, vigorous shaking (or blending again) can help the liquid re-emulsify. The coconut milk soup freezes and melts well.
- Is it necessary to include fresh herbs at the end of your recipe? Freeze without herbs, then thaw and reheat by adding fresh herbs.
Lastly, take a good look at your freezer inventory. It’s a sad day when you have to throw away a bad soup, so pay attention to the expiration date and eat it before it expires. Older soups should be stored in the front of the refrigerator, while younger soups should be stored in the back.
It’s like having gold when you have soup in your fridge, whether it’s chicken noodles, coconut cream lentils, or warm vegetables. You never know when you want to show your love for soup to your family, friends, or yourself. What a priceless gift!
What’s your favorite soup that always goes in the freezer? Let us know in the comments section.
Soups made with milk can be frozen.
Soup can be stored in the freezer for up to six months before consumption or disposal. Since milk-based soups tend to separate when frozen, reheating them in a double boiler straight from the freezer is better than defrosting them first.
Is it possible to freeze cooked cheese potatoes
Only three small changes are needed to make this traditional freezer meal: container, temperature, and cooking time. Use disposable (or recyclable) aluminum pans wrapped in foil instead of regular casserole dishes. Otherwise, your casserole dish will hold for months in your freezer. Bake your frozen casserole at 400 degrees (F) for 1 hour or until crisp and golden brown on top when cooked from frozen. Allow 10 minutes to rest before serving.