How Long Does a 9lb Ham Cook?
This recipe calls for bone-in ham because it has the best flavor and tender meat (plus we like to have leftover ham bones to make our favorite Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup).
A well-cooked ham should take about 12-14 minutes per pound for this dish (a 9-pound ham will take about 2 1/4 hours).
It’s easy to overcook ham, so I recommend using a thermometer like this one to ensure a perfectly roasted ham.
I have one, and all I do is leave the ham in it while it cooks and watch the temperature to ensure ideal results. (Ideal for everything from steak to perfectly cooked pork tenderloin.) It costs under $20, and I think that’s a small price to pay to be able to cook with great results (and never have overcooked meat again). )! For cooking hours, look for the cooking guide on the package of ham you purchased, but a thermometer is best.
How long does a 9 pound ham take to cook at 350 degrees
Raw, or fresh, ham should be fully cooked before serving. Fresh ham is sometimes smoked, but not preserved or salted, and the skin is usually left on. Score the skin in a diamond-shaped pattern before cooking, but be careful not to cut the flesh. Scoring allows fat to smear over the ham as it cooks, and if a glaze is used, it can seep into the meat through the cuts. Place the ham in a roasting pan and season with the following spices: Salt, pepper, garlic, and spices are always a good choice. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes per pound in 350F oven, or until internal temperature reaches 160F. Throughout the cooking process, grease. For the last 30 minutes, remove the foil. Glaze can be applied at this phase.
How long and at what temperature should a 9 pound ham be cooked
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the ham on a rack in a small roasting pan and broil until hot. Allow 15 to 18 minutes per pound for a whole ham, and 18 to 24 minutes per pound for a half. When the ham’s internal temperature reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s done. To coat the ham, remove it from the oven 30 minutes before it’s cooked and turn the temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Except for the collar around the calfbone, remove all the skin. Cut a diamond pattern in the fat at the top of the ham and sprinkle with brown sugar, dry mustard dampened with cider vinegar, prune juice, wine, or ham drippings.
How do you prepare a fully cooked 9 pound ham
- Cooking instructions can be found on the label. Either “fully cooked” or “cook before eating” must be on the label.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large baking dish, place the ham on a rack and pour about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water.
- If the ham is labeled “perfectly cooked” (meaning it doesn’t need to be reheated), preheat it in the oven for about 10 minutes per pound, or until it reaches 140 degrees F.
- Place the spirally sliced ham strips on a sheet of heavy-duty foil to heat. Wrap the ham tightly in foil and bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer is placed into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone, recording 140 degrees.
- If the ham is labeled “cook before eating,” heat it to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit in an oven set no lower than 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the ham in a large slow cooker with about 1 cup ginger ale, cola, stock, or water if available. Heat the ham on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until it reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit for a “cooked” ham or 145 degrees Fahrenheit for a “cooked before eating” ham.
Is it better to roast ham at 325F or 350F
The ideal oven temperature for cooking ham is 325 degrees Fahrenheit. The USDA provides detailed advice on how long cooked ham should be cooked. This guide provides instructions on how to prepare it fresh, as well as a recommended temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, it is possible to cook ham at 350F. However, at higher temperatures, it takes a different amount of time.
What’s the best way to cook a ten pound ham
- Remove the ham from the refrigerator and set aside for 30 minutes until it reaches room temperature.
- Select the glaze you want to use.
- For Apple-Maple Glaze, reduce apple cider to 1/2 cup in a saucepan over medium-high heat, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add apple jelly, maple syrup, mustard, allspice, and nutmeg, stirring constantly.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, mustard, orange zest, and juice for Mustard-Orange Glaze.
- To make Hoisin-Spice Glaze, combine the following ingredients in a small bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, roast the five-spice powder for 1 minute in peanut oil. 1 cup water, hoisin sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and soy sauce 5 minutes after boiling, reduce to 1 1/2 cups.
- To make the Pineapple-Apricot Glaze, combine the following ingredients in a small bowl. In a saucepan, combine lime juice, ginger, and pineapple juice. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup. Once strained, combine lime zest, preserved apricots, and mustard in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove excess skin from the ham. Score the fat in a diagonal crosshatch pattern with a sharp paring knife without cutting the meat. Place the cloves (if using) at the junction of the ham pieces (if using).
- In a roasting pan, place the ham flat-sided on a rack. Pour 1/4 inch of water into the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham registers 130F. (about 15 minutes per pound).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the half glaze over the ham to coat it. Add extra water if the water in the bottom of the pan has evaporated.
- Return the ham to the oven and continue baking for another 45 minutes, brushing every 10 minutes with the remaining glaze.
What temperature should a 10 pound ham be cooked at
Cooking Temperature and Time: If the ham is half a ham weighing 5 to 7 pounds, cook at 325F for 18-24 minutes per pound. Heat the ham at 325F for 15-18 minutes per pound if the full ham weighs 10 to 14 pounds.
Is it possible to bake ham at 350 degrees
- Adjust the oven rack to fit the large roasting pan in the oven. A small roasting rack should be placed in the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ham from its packaging and rinse with cold water. In a roasting pan, place on a rack. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, covered with foil. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar and honey and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is well combined and the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the brown sugar glaze over the ham and continue baking for another hour and 40 minutes, brushing at least twice with the roasting drip. (For smaller or larger hams, adjust the overall roasting time to 20 minutes per pound.) Insert a meat thermometer into the area containing the meat (not in the fat or touching the bone) to check for doneness; it should read 160 degrees F.
- Allow 15 minutes for the liquid to settle before slicing the ham. (You can make ham up to 2 hours in advance and serve it at room temperature by wrapping it in foil.)
How long should a 9-pound spiral ham take to bake
- Collect ham. Remove all packaging, including the plastic disc at the bottom of the ham, if you are wondering how to cook spiral ham. Cover the roasted spiral ham tightly with foil or a lid in a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish or similar shallow roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or about 10 minutes per pound of ham.
- Prepare the glaze.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a quick boil, stirring frequently, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before the ham is cooked, glaze it.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes before brushing or pouring the glaze over the ham about 20 minutes before cooking.
- To finish, return to the oven.
- Return the ham to the oven, uncovered, for another 20 minutes, or until the glaze is slightly crisp and the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Remove the ham from the oven when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F at its thickest.
- Let it rest.
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing the ham.
- Just before serving, spoon the liquid over the ham.