How Long to Cook 7lb Ham?
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a shallow roasting pan, place the ham on a rack. Allow 18 to 20 minutes per pound for a full 10 to 15 pound ham; 20 minutes per pound for half 57 pounds; or 35 minutes per pound for 34-pound calves or buttocks. Cook uncovered until the internal temperature reaches 160F under all circumstances. Remove the ham from the oven about 30 minutes before cooking and glaze as suggested below for an attractive, quick finish.
How long does it take to cook a 7.5 pound ham
- Wrap the bottom layer in heavy-duty aluminum foil to make a container. Fill the foil with 4 to 5 cups of water and place in the oven with a tray or pan underneath for support. Carefully join the edges of the aluminum foil, making sure everything is completely covered.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 3 hours or 20 minutes per pound once the oven temperature reaches 300 degrees.
- Check the internal temperature of 163 degrees in the thickest part of the ham with a meat thermometer.
- When the ham reaches the desired internal temperature, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool for an hour. Skin and fat can be removed as desired.
- Sprinkle the fat part with brown sugar and breadcrumbs if desired a sweet coating, and bake until brown in a 400 degree oven (about 15 minutes).
- Place the skin side down in a large roasting pan and cover with cold water.
- Heat the water to 190 degrees (not too boiling). Cook until the internal temperature reaches 163 degrees Fahrenheit (or about 25 minutes per pound). To keep the ham covered, add water.
- Remove the ham from the pan and remove the skin and fat as desired while it is still hot.
- The best way to enjoy the flavors of Smithfield or Country Ham is to serve it at room temperature. This ham can be prepared in a number of ways. Served with “red eye gravy”, sliced ham is perfect for crackers or frying. In soups, use chunks of ham or bones, or season beans or vegetables with ham or bones.
- Red-Eye Gravy – In the same skillet where the ham slices were fried, pour half a cup of water or black coffee. Cook for a few minutes on low heat. Serve with biscuits and fried ham slices.
What’s the best way to cook a 7 pound cooked ham
- Cooking instructions can be found on the label. Either “fully cooked” or “cook before eating” must be on the label.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large baking dish, place the ham on a rack and pour about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water.
- If the ham is labeled “perfectly cooked” (meaning it doesn’t need to be reheated), preheat it in the oven for about 10 minutes per pound, or until it reaches 140 degrees F.
- Place the spirally sliced ham strips on a sheet of heavy-duty foil to heat. Wrap the ham tightly in foil and bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer is placed into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone, recording 140 degrees.
- If the ham is labeled “cook before eating,” heat it to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit in an oven set no lower than 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the ham in a large slow cooker with about 1 cup ginger ale, cola, stock, or water if available. Heat the ham on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until it reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit for a “cooked” ham or 145 degrees Fahrenheit for a “cooked before eating” ham.
How to Cook Spiral Ham
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and remove the ham from the package. Place your ham face down in the baking sheet or baking pan, cover tightly with a lid or foil, and bake for 12-15 minutes per pound of ham in the oven. If glazing, do so 30 minutes before the end of the cooking period and continue cooking without cover.
How to Cook Cooked Ham?
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit if you start with a fully cooked ham. Excess fat and skin should be removed.
After that, cut your ham into a diamond shape. This allows the glaze to get a better grip on the meat.
Once the diamonds are minted, add one clove to each diamond. Fill half the pot with apple juice and the rest with water. You should keep an eye on this and fill in as needed.
In the center of the ham, insert the ChefAlarm thermometer (affiliate link). This will allow you to cook the ham to the ideal temperature, preventing it from drying out. After that, wrap it in foil and put it in the oven to keep it juicy and moist. It’s also a good idea to keep pouring the liquid.
Cook the ham for 15 minutes per pound of meat until it reaches 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Glaze at this point and every 15 minutes after that.
My glaze recipe is simply amazing. It is possible to duplicate it and use it as a dip. The crunchy outside is like little pieces of happiness!!
Ham is a fantastic main dish for any holiday party, and leaves a delicious leftover. Other ham dishes, including leftovers, can be found here, or try our simple Ham and Pea Pasta!
Just make sure the cut and size of the ham you choose fits your goals.
This Christmas season, delicious and juicy ham awaits you. For best results, just follow our simple recipe.
Is it better to roast ham at 325F or 350F
Cooking Temperature and Time: If the ham is half a ham weighing 5 to 7 pounds, cook at 325F for 18-24 minutes per pound. Heat the ham at 325F for 15-18 minutes per pound if the full ham weighs 10 to 14 pounds.
Is it possible to bake ham at 350 degrees
- Adjust the oven rack to fit the large roasting pan in the oven. A small roasting rack should be placed in the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ham from its packaging and rinse with cold water. In a roasting pan, place on a rack. Bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, covered with foil. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar and honey and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is well combined and the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the brown sugar glaze over the ham and continue baking for another hour and 40 minutes, brushing at least twice with the roasting drip. (For smaller or larger hams, adjust the overall roasting time to 20 minutes per pound.) Insert a meat thermometer into the area containing the meat (not in the fat or touching the bone) to check for doneness; it should read 160 degrees F.
- Allow 15 minutes for the liquid to settle before slicing the ham. (You can make ham up to 2 hours in advance and serve it at room temperature by wrapping it in foil.)
How long does it take to cook an 8 pound ham
- Remove the ham from the refrigerator and set aside for 30 minutes until it reaches room temperature.
- Select the glaze you want to use.
- For Apple-Maple Glaze, reduce apple cider to 1/2 cup in a saucepan over medium-high heat, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add apple jelly, maple syrup, mustard, allspice, and nutmeg, stirring constantly.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, mustard, orange zest, and juice for Mustard-Orange Glaze.
- To make Hoisin-Spice Glaze, combine the following ingredients in a small bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, roast the five-spice powder for 1 minute in peanut oil. 1 cup water, hoisin sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and soy sauce 5 minutes after boiling, reduce to 1 1/2 cups.
- To make the Pineapple-Apricot Glaze, combine the following ingredients in a small bowl. In a saucepan, combine lime juice, ginger, and pineapple juice. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup. Once strained, combine lime zest, preserved apricots, and mustard in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove excess skin from the ham. Score the fat in a diagonal crosshatch pattern with a sharp paring knife without cutting the meat. Place the cloves (if using) at the junction of the ham pieces (if using).
- In a roasting pan, place the ham flat-sided on a rack. Pour 1/4 inch of water into the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham registers 130F. (about 15 minutes per pound).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush the half glaze over the ham to coat it. Add extra water if the water in the bottom of the pan has evaporated.
- Return the ham to the oven and continue baking for another 45 minutes, brushing every 10 minutes with the remaining glaze.
How long does it take to cook a pound of ham in the oven
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the ham on a rack in a small roasting pan and broil until hot. Allow 15 to 18 minutes per pound for a whole ham, and 18 to 24 minutes per pound for a half. When the ham’s internal temperature reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s done. To coat the ham, remove it from the oven 30 minutes before it’s cooked and turn the temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Except for the collar around the calfbone, remove all the skin. Cut a diamond pattern in the fat at the top of the ham and sprinkle with brown sugar, dry mustard dampened with cider vinegar, prune juice, wine, or ham drippings.
What’s the best way to reheat cooked ham without drying out
This ham is very cold, but the instructions for heating it are usually on the package. Place the chopped ham on heavy-duty aluminum foil and wrap tightly. Alternatively, use an oven toaster bag and prepare according to the bag’s instructions. Bake for 10-14 minutes per pound in the preheated 325F oven, or until the meat thermometer reaches 135F. Before serving, remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. If the ham came with an extra glaze, add it and cook according to package recommendations. Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, brush the ham with the glaze, and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the glaze is golden and bubbling. Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
How long does it take to cook a cooked ham
According to the USDA, cooked ham should be roasted at 325 degrees for 10 minutes per pound, or up to 145 degrees. If you’re reheating repackaged or leftover ham, make sure it’s at least 165 degrees F.