How Long to Cook Spiral Glazed Ham?
Spiral-cut ham typically weighs 8 to 11 pounds and is pre-cooked (make sure your package says pre-cooked). This indicates that you should only heat the ham while cooking it. The easiest way to do this is to cook it at a low temperature so that the inside gets hot before the outside dries.
Use a meat thermometer to cook the spiral ham to 140F, being careful not to overcook. I usually take it out when it hits 135F, watching the thermometer to make sure it reaches 140F.
Depending on the size, spiral ham should cook for 1316 minutes per pound at 250F while left uncovered. Remove your ham from the oven when it is precooked and allow it to cool slightly to prevent it from overcooking. Cover with foil when it cools a bit, then wait for it to cut until ready to serve.
Glass Spiral Ham
If you’re coating your ham, such as when preparing a homemade honey-roasted ham mock, you’ll want to add a final glaze to prevent it from burning. I always choose to make a quick homemade glaze instead of using the glaze that comes with the ham.
Just apply with a brush for the last 20 minutes. For a nice, gooey glaze, I occasionally raise the oven temperature or place it under the broiler for a few minutes.
Recipe for our favorite glaze:
- Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Ham with Rosemary Balsamic Glaze
- Easy Glaze:
- Brown sugar, 1/3 cup
- Juice, 1/4 cup (orange or pineapple is good)
- Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons
How long does it take to cook spiral ham until done
- This ham is very cold, but the instructions for heating it are on the packaging. Wrap the ham tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil after placing it cut side up on the foil. Alternatively, use a toaster bag for the oven and prepare it according to the bag’s instructions. Bake for 1014 minutes per pound in a 325F oven, or until a meat thermometer reads 140F. Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, coat the ham with the glaze, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the glaze is golden and bubbling, to coat this type of ham. Before cutting to serve, let sit for 10 minutes. It has a sweet sweet taste and has the ideal texture.
How long does it take to cook a 9 pound spiral ham
- Prepare the ham. To start cooking spiral ham, remove all packaging, including the plastic disc attached to the bottom of the ham. Spiral roasted ham should be placed in a shallow roasting pan, such as a 9″ x 13″ glass pan, and tightly covered with foil or a lid.
- Put it in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 1 hour 20 to 1 hour 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or about 10 minutes per pound of ham.
- Make a glaze.
- The brown sugar, honey, orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg should be combined in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then cook for about five minutes.
- About 20 minutes before the ham is cooked, glaze it.
- About 20 minutes before the ham is done cooking, remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before brushing or pouring the glaze over it.
- To finish, return to the oven.
- Once glazed, put the ham back in the oven, open the lid, and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F and the glaze is slightly crunchy.
- From the oven, take it out.
- Remove the ham from the oven once the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F in the thickest area.
- Put it to rest.
- Before slicing, let the ham sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, spoon the liquid over the ham.
At what temperature should you cook spiral ham
Set the oven to 250F. Remove the ham from the container, and if there are small plastic discs stuck to the bottom of the bones, remove them and throw them away. The ham should be placed clipped down in a shallow roasting pan. Bake the ham until it reaches 140F, about 1316 minutes per pound.
How long should spiral-sliced ham take to cook
- The oven should be heated to 325 F.
- Brown sugar, honey, orange zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg should all be combined in a bowl. Use salt to season.
- Place the ham in the center of a sheet of aluminum foil that has been rolled up enough to encircle it. After removing the outer layers of the ham, slip a sprig of thyme between each spiral layer. Allow the glaze to soak into the ham slices as you pour halfway through. Place the ham on a rack in the roasting pan and wrap tightly in foil. Bake the meat for 20 minutes per pound in the oven with an inch of water in the pan until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, pour in the remaining half of the glaze and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir until small bubbles start to appear everywhere. As it sits, the glaze will become thicker.
- Increase the oven setting to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ham must be removed from the oven. Carefully peel back the aluminum foil from the top and with the help of tongs, leave the foil on the sides and just below the ham to catch the glaze and juices. Place the ham back in the oven, uncovered, for another 15 minutes, then cover with the remaining glaze. Before cutting, remove and let stand.
How long does a 10 pound spiral ham take to bake at 350 degrees
How long should the ham be roasted. Spiral ham slices should be heated to 140 degrees Fahrenheit often taking 10 to 15 minutes per pound. We preheat our oven to 350 degrees and estimate that the nearly 10 pounds of ham we purchased will be cooked in 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
How long does it take to cook a 7 pound ham
oven to 325F for preheating. In a shallow roasting pan, arrange the ham on a rack. Allow 18 to 20 minutes per pound for an entire 10 to 15 pound ham, 20 minutes per pound for a half ham (5 to 7 pounds), and 35 minutes per pound for calves or buttocks (3 to 4 pounds). Cook uncovered until the internal temperature reaches 160F under all circumstances. About 30 minutes before you’re done, take the ham out of the oven and coat it according to the directions below for an attractive and quick finish.
Will spiral ham cook at 350 degrees
Set the oven to 350F. Once the ham is out of its packaging, place it on a rack in a roasting pan half filled with water, apple juice, or lemon-lime soda. Place in the oven with the foil covered. Heat the meat to 140 degrees Fahrenheit using a meat thermometer.
When cooking, should you cover the spiral ham
On top of the lemons, arrange the ham slices in a downward spiral. Cover loosely with foil. To warm up the ham, bake for 10 minutes per pound. The spiral ham is done cooking (so you can even serve it cold if you prefer).
How long should a 10 pound Smithfield spiral ham take to cook
The oven should be preheated to 325F. Remove the ham from the package, arrange the fat side on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, and cover with aluminum foil. 2. Heat for 15 to 20 minutes per pound, or until cooked through.
How can spiral ham be prepared without drying out
Use the timer that came with the ham if you don’t have a probe thermometer; However, it will not be accurate enough. These instructions cannot account for all other factors, such as the type of meat, its size and shape, the actual temperature of the oven, and its cleanliness (burnt waste in your oven can affect cooking times).
Wrapping the ham in thick aluminum foil to help keep the moisture inside is the second secret to moist spiral hams.
If you want to coat your food, either homemade or packaged, remove the foil for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking.