How Many People Feed A 12 Pound Ham?
The following assumptions are used in our little calculator how much ham I need per person:
- A boneless ham weighing 0.45 pounds (0.2 kg) is required for the average individual.
- You need 0.65 lb (0.3 kg) per person if you are using bone ham.
Calculation of the size of the ham you should do is quite easy:
For boneless ham, follow these directions:
For the ham bone-in, follow these instructions:
So we need 5.4 pounds of boneless ham or:
So now that you know how much ham I need to feed 12 people, check out our turkey calculator to get ready for next Thanksgiving!
- Time to roast the turkey
- Time to thaw the turkey
How many people can a spiral ham serve
The number of people that can be fed a whole ham depends on whether you are serving it for dinner or as part of a buffet. A 13 pound whole ham served for dinner will serve 22 to 24 people, while a 16 pound ham will serve 28 to 30 people.
How many servings does a spiral ham slice have
How much ham do you serve per person? If you’re serving non-boneless spiral sliced ham, count on about 1/2 pound per person. A bone-in ham will weigh about 3/4 pound per person. You’ll need at least 6 pounds of boneless ham or 9 pounds of boneless ham if you’re serving 12 people.
Is bone-in ham better than boneless ham
Ready-to-eat boneless and boneless ham available; the bone-in ham was superior in every way but one: ease of slicing. Bones add flavor and moisture to a dish while enhancing its presentation. In addition, ham bones are an invaluable culinary utensil. You can cook them with black peas or collard greens (or both), make ham broth or soup with them, use them to flavor slow cooker jambalaya, or prepare a one-pot dinner with white beans and smoked ham.
Are there bones in the spiral ham
The popularity of bone-in ham is undeniable! This all has to do with the fact that ham tastes better with bones in it. This maintains a balance of flavor and moisture, so you don’t have to worry about it getting too dry. Even if bone-in ham is more appealing to the eye when glazed or garnished, the fact that bone-in ham can be difficult to handle should not be overlooked. Have you ever tried carving ham out of bone? (Here’s how to do it.)
How to Cook Bone-in Ham
Preheat oven to 325F for fully cooked bone-in ham. Remove any remaining skin from the ham and carve a crosshatch design with a knife all over. In a skillet, cook the ham with the flat side down. Before putting the ham in the oven, remember to add a little water and a few cloves of garlic for added flavor. Cook the ham bone-in for a total of 2 1/2 hours.
What is Spiral Ham?
Last but not least, spiral ham is a delicacy for Easter, Christmas and other festivals where a centerpiece is required. Spiral ham can be boneless, but most spiral hams are made by slicing the bony ham into one large spiral shape. Due to the extra work put into the butcher’s block, spiral bone-in hams not only have a naturally fresh taste and are durable, but are also much easier to cut. Despite the bone, you have a different cutting line to follow when slicing.
How many people can be fed a 10 pound ham
That means a 7.5-10 pound bone ham or a 5 pound boneless ham would be enough for a 10-person Easter meal.
However, if you are serving country ham, you will only need a small portion. It’s great, but the saltiness will keep people from piling it on their plates.
How many people can Costco’s spiral ham feed
Let’s assume you buy a 9-pound Kirkland spiral ham, which is roughly 114 ounces, and you want to feed about 12 people at 10 ounces each.
For Christmas, how much ham do I need
- How many people will you feed?
- Are you going to serve ham as a main dish at your Christmas dinner?
- Are you interested in leftovers?
The suggestions below are based on the assumption that your ham will be your main Christmas meal. It doesn’t take into account the other foods you’ll be offering or how hungry your diners will be.
With leftovers, a ham with bones weighing 5kg above the bone will easily feed 10-15 people.
With leftovers, 10 kg of ham on the bone should easily feed 20-30 people.
How long does it take to cook an 11 pound spiral ham
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, orange zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll up enough aluminum foil to wrap around the ham completely and place it in the center. Peel back layers of ham and insert sprigs of thyme between each layer of spirals. Pour half the glaze over the ham slices and let it soak. Wrap the ham tightly in foil and place it on the rack in the roasting pan. Fill a pot halfway with water and bake for 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the remaining half of the glaze to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir until small bubbles appear everywhere. As the glaze sits, it will thicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ham from the oven. Carefully peel back the aluminum foil from the top using tongs, leaving the foil on the sides and under the ham to catch the glaze and juices. Cover the ham with the remaining glaze and return to the oven, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool before cutting.
How long does it take to cook a 13 pound spiral ham
Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the box and, if your ham has a small plastic disc stuck to the bottom of the bone, remove it and throw it away. Place the cut side of the ham in a small roasting pan. Preheat oven to 350F and bake ham for 13-16 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 140F.