How to Cook Half Spiral Ham?
Spiral-cut hams usually weigh between 8 and 11 pounds and are pre-cooked (make sure your package says pre-cooked). This means that when cooking ham, all you need to do is heat it. The easiest way to do this is to cook it at a low temperature so that the outside doesn’t dry out before the inside is heated.
Use a meat thermometer to reach 140 degrees Fahrenheit and don’t overcook the spiral ham to prevent it from drying out. I usually take it out around 135F and monitor the temperature with a thermometer until it reaches 140F.
The length of time it will take to cook spiral ham depends on its size, but plan for about 13-16 minutes per pound at 250F, uncovered. If your ham cooks early, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool slightly to prevent it from overcooking. Cover with foil once it has cooled a bit and wait for it to cut until ready to serve.
Glass Spiral Ham
If you’re coating your ham, such as when making a homemade honey-roasted ham replica, do so at the end so it doesn’t burn. I always opt for a simple homemade glaze over the glaze that comes with my ham.
Just apply for the last 20 minutes of cooking. To make the glaze nice and sticky, I occasionally turn on the oven or place it under the broiler for a few minutes.
Our Favorite Glaze Recipes:
- Ham Glaze with Brown Sugar
- Ham with Rosemary Balsamic Glaze
- Easy-to-apply glaze:
- brown sugar, 2/3 cup
- quarter cup juice (orange or pineapple is great)
- 2 tbsp mustard (dijon)
How long does it take to cook half a spiral ham
Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the box and, if your ham has a small plastic disc stuck to the bottom of the bone, remove it and throw it away. Place the cut side of the ham in a small roasting pan. Preheat oven to 350F and bake ham for 13-16 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 140F.
What’s the best way to cook spiral ham without drying out
Use the time guide that came with the ham if you don’t have a probe thermometer; However, it won’t be that accurate. This calculator can’t take into account all other factors, such as the size and shape of the meat, the actual temperature of your oven, and how clean your oven is (burnt trash in your oven can affect cooking times).
The second step in making moist spiral ham is wrapping it in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
If you want to use a glaze, either homemade or packaged, do so with foil in the last 15-20 minutes of cooking.
When cooking spiral ham, do you cover it
Cover loosely with foil and place the spiral ham slices under the lemons. Bake the ham until warm, about 10 minutes per pound. The spiral ham is fully cooked (so you can even serve it chilled if you prefer).
How long does a 10 pound spiral ham take to cook at 350 degrees
How long does it take to bake ham? Spiral sliced ham should be heated to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in about 10-15 minutes per pound. We preheat the oven to 350 degrees and estimate that nearly 10 pounds of ham will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to cook.
How long does it take to cook a 10 pound spiral ham
- Collect ham. Remove all packaging, including the plastic disc at the bottom of the ham, if you are wondering how to cook spiral ham. Cover the roasted spiral ham tightly with foil or a lid in a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish or similar shallow roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or about 10 minutes per pound of ham.
- Prepare the glaze.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a quick boil, stirring frequently, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before the ham is cooked, glaze it.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes before brushing or pouring the glaze over the ham about 20 minutes before cooking.
- To finish, return to the oven.
- Return the ham to the oven, uncovered, for another 20 minutes, or until the glaze is slightly crisp and the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Remove the ham from the oven when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F at its thickest.
- Let it rest.
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing the ham.
- Just before serving, spoon the liquid over the ham.
What’s the best way to reheat cooked ham without drying out
This ham is very cold, but the instructions for heating it are usually on the package. Place the chopped ham on heavy-duty aluminum foil and wrap tightly. Alternatively, use an oven toaster bag and prepare according to the bag’s instructions. Bake for 10-14 minutes per pound in the preheated 325F oven, or until the meat thermometer reaches 135F. Before serving, remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. If the ham came with an extra glaze, add it and cook according to package recommendations. Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, brush the ham with the glaze, and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the glaze is golden and bubbling. Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Is it possible to cook spiral ham at 350 degrees
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the ham from its packaging and place it on a rack in a roasting pan half filled with water, apple juice, or lemon/lime soda. Put in the oven, cover with foil. Heat to an internal temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit using a meat thermometer.
How long does it take to cook an 11 pound spiral ham
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, orange zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll up enough aluminum foil to wrap around the ham completely and place it in the center. Peel back the layers of ham and insert a sprig of thyme between each spiral layer. Pour half the glaze over the ham slices and let it soak. Wrap the ham tightly in foil and place it on the rack in the roasting pan. Fill the pan half way with water and bake for 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the remaining half of the glaze to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir until small bubbles appear everywhere. As the glaze sits, it will thicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ham from the oven. Carefully peel back the aluminum foil from the top using tongs, leaving the foil on the sides and under the ham to catch the glaze and juices. Cover the ham with the remaining glaze and return to the oven, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool before cutting.
How long does it take to cook a 10 pound Smithfield spiral ham
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ham from its packaging and place it in a shallow roasting pan.
- Half and quarter ham should be cooked evenly (face down). Cook the whole ham with the fat side up.
- The aluminum foil should be wrapped tightly around the pan.
- Bake at 275F for 15 minutes per pound, or until cooked through (see chart).
- Make sure you don’t overcook! Remove the ham from the oven and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
If you want to add glass, follow the additional glass instructions. And, to make sure your ham is roasted to perfection, use this handy formula to determine cooking times based on the size and weight of your ham. It’s very important not to overcook the ham in the oven, or it will become dry instead of runny. So watch the video, double-check your chart, and serve up an amazing spiral-sliced ham every time.